Link: United℠ Explorer Card
Chase has increased the sign-up bonus for the United℠ Explorer Card. It is now a 60,000 point bonus instead of 50,000. The bonus offer applies after spending $3,000 in the first 3-months of being approved for the card. This card has an annual fee of: $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95. We recommend this card for those of you who fly United because your first standard checked-bag for you and your companion is free, you get priority boarding, and you get a 25% discount on inflight purchases on United-operated flights.
The checked-bag perk will probably be the main draw for those of you who fly on the cheaper “Basic Economy” fares on United. Basic Economy fares on United don’t include a free checked-bag and this perk can save you from paying additional bag fees.
The card has the following 2x point categories:
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, including tickets, Economy Plus®, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on dining, including eligible delivery services.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel.
There are a few things to point out about this deal:
- Last year, there was a better offer: 70,000 points after $3000 spent. The current offer of 60,000 points is an increase of +10,000 when compared to what was offered in May.
- To receive the sign-up bonus, you must spend $3000 or more in the first three months after you receive you are approved for the card.
- This card has an annual fee of: $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- With Chase, you are likely to be denied if you have opened 5 or more cards with ANY bank within the past 24 months. Chase business cards don’t count towards the 5 card rule, but if you try to apply for one after you have opened 5 or more cards, you will likely be denied. If you are planning to apply for multiple cards, you should consider opening Chase business cards first, then Chase personal cards, and finally any other cards with any other bank.
We’re also seeing a +30,000 point increase for the United Quest℠ Card via [this private offer link]. This increase pushes the offer up to 90,000 United MileagePlus points. The bonus offer applies after spending $5,000 in the first 3-months of being approved for the card. Keep in mind that the United Quest℠ Card has a higher annual fee of $250, but has more perks, like anniversary award flight credits, which are quite good if you often use your points for booking flights on United.
- American Express currently has a competing offer for the American Express® Green Card: They have recently increased their welcome offer by +15,000 to 60,000 Amex Membership Rewards® points. The welcome offer applies after spending $3,000 in the first 6 months of being approved for the card. Plus, earn 20% back on eligible travel and transit purchases made during your first 6 months of Card Membership, up to $200 back in the form of a statement credit. This card has an annual fee of: $150. For rates and fees of the American Express® Green Card, please visit [link]. Terms apply. American Express is an Escape Houston advertiser.
- If you get denied and you have good credit, call their reconsideration hotline: 1-888-270-2127. Calling may not change the outcome, but there is a chance it will. You’ll also be able to get better insight in why your application was denied.